This is our very first weekly-wrap and I hope to make it the first of many more. I like the idea that every Friday you take the time to reflect on what you and your children have been working on all week.
Math - We learned about arrays. They are the small sqaures you put together to make a big square or rectangle and you count how many are on each side to make up a multiplication problem. Well my dd7 liked to watch CyberChase on PBS and she tells me she already knows this stuff and proceeds to make up arrays for me to do on the board. I just love days when this happens.
Science - We read some more from our Apologia book on the moon. We discussed the moon's gravity and its effects on Earth (tides). We completed a vocab. page in out Apologia notebook and wrote and drew some amazing moon facts that we learned fromt his chapter. Dd7 also finished painting 3 more planets from our solar system kit and she put glow in the dark paint on the 5 other planets that were already dry. I will post a pic of the model when we get it all strung up.
Handwriting - I ordered the cursive Handwriting Without Tears for Dd7 per her request and she have put the print book away for now. She was really excited to learn how to write her name in cursive and complains a lot less about handwriting now that she really wants to learn cursive.
History - Peasants and feudalism were our focus for this week. We read Ch. 16 in SOTW Level 2 discussed the review questions and did our narrations. I still write the narrations for dd7 as she dictates them to me. The mapwork was interesting this week. We drew lines from all the places were the English language has borrowed words from in order to make up the English we speak today. We also played a game called Fox and Geese which is kind of like checkers but the idea it to trap the fox while the fox jumps (eats) the geese.
Writing - We just did the next week in Writing With Ease.
Grammar- We orally learned about conjuctions and interjections with First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind
Spelling - We completed Step 13 in All About Spelling Level 2 where we formed words that have ee in them. I will discuss in another post how we use this program.
Reading - Exciting News!!! We have finally finished working through the Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading by Jessie Wise. I found the program a good fit for my child but dd7 didn't like it very much. She would always complain when I brought it out, but now that we are finished with it I guess the complaining should go away right? The only complaint I had about the book was the last few sections. There are big words at the end for the children to read words with many syllables and the word it broken up into syllables and then under it the word it written without being broken up. The next word is too close to the first word and so it was hard for dd7 to tell it it was one word or two. To tell you the truth it was a little confusing to me at first but we worked our way through it my covering up the second word with a piece of paper while we were reading the first word. Does your OPGTR book look like this too or is it just mine?
Other - Dd7 working on a Christmas page for her First Communion book. On a piece of construction paper we printed out or drew three things we think of when we think about Christmas. I then read her a little passage about why we have these traditions for Christmas. She thought of a sentence to represent each picture and I wrote it next to her pictures.
No comments:
Post a Comment